Andrew Goldsworthy BSc, PhD, is an Honorary Lecturer in Biology at Imperial College London. He retired from full time teaching in 2004 but still gives occasional lectures there in specialist subjects such as food irradiation and the (exorbitant) energy cost of modern food production. He was born in 1939, and, after a grammar school education in Wales, obtained a First Class Honours Degree in Botany, followed by a PhD at the University College of Swansea. He then took a lecturing post at Imperial College London where, apart from a short secondment to work in agricultural research and a sabbatical in the USA, he has been ever since. Source / ‘See also: Additional Information in this post.
Dr. Andrew Goldsworthy responds to ICNIRP’s Eric van Rongen’s statements, published in Business Insider:
Eric van Rongen: “I’m the scientist who sets the global guidelines on 5G safety. Take it from me: 5G doesn’t cause cancer or spread COVID-19”
By: Elle Hardy
Published: June 23, 2020
In: Business Insider – https://www.businessinsider.com/scientist-sets-guidelines-5g-safety-conspiracy-theories-debunked-2020-6?IR=T
Dr. Andrew Goldsworthy:
There are two main mechanisms by which non-ionising radiation such as that from cell-phones can damage living organisms. One is the heating effect and the other is the effect of low-frequency modulation.
1. The heating effect.
We cannot assume that the heating effect is uniformly distributed through living cells. The cells themselves are highly conductive, whereas the cell membranes have a very high resistance. Therefore, for any given current flowing through a tissue, nearly all of the heat will be generated in the cell membranes. Since these membranes constitute only about one thousandth of the total diameter of a typical cell and virtually all of the heat is being generated in them, the ICNIRP Guidelines, which are based on the assumption that cells and tissues are uniformly conductive, are approximately one thousand times too high.
2. The effect of modulation.
Living cell membranes are electrically non-linear and have a voltage across them of approximately 70mV. They are pierced by countless ion channels that behave like electrically biased Schottky diodes capable of rectifying and so demodulating any alternating signal (including microwave frequencies) with the demodulated low frequency components appearing between the inside and outside of the cell. This is what does most of the damage and here is why:
The cell membrane is mainly made of a lipid bilayer only about 10nM thick, with proteins such as ion channels “floating” in it. The membrane itself is negatively charged because it has outwardly directed negatively charged phosphate groups and is normally stabilised by divalent positive calcium and magnesium ions that cross-link them. But the demodulated cell-phone signal makes the negative membrane and its protective divalent ions move in opposite directions. This destabilizes the membrane and makes it more likely to perforate and collapse the voltage gradient across it. This, in turn, opens voltage-gated calcium ion channels in the membrane that let huge numbers of calcium ions into the cell down a massive 10,000:1 electrochemical gradient.
In nature, this increase in the internal calcium concentration is taken as an indicator to the cell that its membrane (and by implication, the whole cell) has been damaged and sets in train a series of repair mechanisms, which uses a great deal of metabolic energy. If it succeeds, the cell is repaired, if not, the cell dies, but either way a great deal of energy is used. This may in large part explain the chronic fatigue syndrome that was found in early mobile phone users (Yuppie flu) and is now much more widespread in the community due to our constant exposure to cordless phones, their base stations, WiFi and all the other wireless devices that current ICNIRP guidelines regard as safe.
Lastly, the relationship between 5G and COVID-19.
We cannot assume that because the 5G radiation is mainly absorbed by the skin that it cannot damage the rest of our bodies. If the energy of the radiation is disproportionately absorbed by the skin, then the damage to the skin and the blood and lymph circulating through it will also be disproportionately large.
The effects of 5G on lymphocytes could be particularly damaging. They too will have their energy drained by the calcium influx caused by the radiation, have less to spare to generate their protective antibodies and so make the immune system less efficient.
So, I guess you could say that 5G can promote the spread of COVID-19. That said, most other forms of information carrying (i.e.modulated) frequencies may be even more dangerous, particularly WiFi with its extremely low frequency (10Hz) beacon signal being possibly the most dangerous. Source
- Eric van Rongen lies about 5G – https://multerland.blog/2020/06/25/icnirps-eric-van-rongen-lies-about-5g/
- ICNIRP – article about ICNIRP, started in June 2019, and in the meantime filled with an impressive collection of investigative articles, files, and documentaries from all over the world. https://multerland.blog/2019/06/02/icnirp/
Dr. Andrew Goldsworthy:
- Links to the work of Dr. Andrew Goldsworthy
- Imperial College London, Department of Biological Sciences – Dr A Goldsworthy – Plant Biotechnology – Photosynthesis, photorespiration, plant electrophysiology and the biological effects of electromagnetic fields. – http://www.bio.ic.ac.uk/research/agold/goldsworthy.htm
- Andrew Goldsworthy, ResearchGate – https://www.researchgate.net/scientific-contributions/2029946062_Andrew_Goldsworthy
- Andrew Goldsworthy BSc, PhD / C.V. – https://www.radiationresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/andrew_goldsworthy.pdf
- UK: Some Facts about Cell Phone Radiation by Dr. Andrew Goldsworthy – https://www.stopumts.nl/doc.php/Berichten%20Internationaal/3831/uk_some_facts_about_cell_phone_radiation_by_dr._andrew_goldsworthy
- Andrew Goldsworthy: The Cellphone and the Cell – http://www.mobilfunk-debatte.de/pdf/studien/04Goldsworthy_Thesaloniki.pdf
- Andrew Goldsworthy: The Biological Effects of Weak Electromagnetic Fields – https://vehs.be/wp-content/uploads/Biol-Effects-EMFs-2012.pdf
Dr. Andrew Goldsworthy, articles, researches, press releases – from 2007-2013, on the website Mastsanity:
- Smart Meter Roll-Out – Dr Andrew Goldsworthy – http://mastsanity.org/49-home/321-smart-meter-roll-out-response-by-dr-andrew-goldsworthy-lecturer-in-biology-retired-imperial-college-london.html Created on 11 February 2013
- Health – The Non-Thermal Effects of Radio Frequencies on Trees – Dr. Andrew Goldsworthy http://mastsanity.org/21-health/health/318-the-non-thermal-effects-of-radio-frequencies-on-trees-by-dr-andrew-goldsworthy.html
Created on 05 November 2012
- Health – Wi-Fi in Schools – Dr Andrew Goldsworthy
Created on 08 November 2011
- Research – Why Our Urban Trees are Dying – Andrew Goldsworthy
Created on 04 March 2011
- Smoke Alarms and Electrosensitivity – http://mastsanity.org/all/295-smoke-alarms-and-electrosensitivity.html
Created on 29 May 2010
- Research – Dr. Andrew Goldsworthy Witness Statement
Created on 18 May 2010
- Research – Why Vodafone should not increase the power of its base stations – Andrew Goldsworthy http://mastsanity.org/health/286-why-vodafone-should-not-increase-the-power-of-its-base-stations-by-andrew-goldsworthy-march-2010.html
Created on 21 March 2010
- Research – Do Mobile Phones Cure Alzheimer’s Disease? – Andrew Goldsworthy
Created on 15 January 2010
- Press Release – Dr. Goldsworthy responds to HPA’s “no risk” Wi-Fi Press Release
Created on 23 September 2009
- Research – Some Facts about Cell Phone Radiation – Dr. Andrew Goldsworthy http://mastsanity.org/health/275-some-facts-about-cell-phone-radiation-by-dr-andrew-goldsworthy-july-2009.html
Created on 12 July 2009
- Research – Do Mobile Phones Cause Cancer? – Dr. Andrew Goldsworthy Says …
Created on 14 May 2009
- Research – The Birds, the Bees and Electromagnetic Pollution – Dr. Andrew Goldsworthy http://mastsanity.org/health/269-the-birds-the-bees-and-electromagnetic-pollution-by-dr-andrew-goldsworthy-may-2009.html
Created on 05 May 2009
- Research – Electromagnetic Fields and Health: Executive Report – Andrew Goldsworthy http://mastsanity.org/health/262-electromagnetic-fields-and-health-executive-report-by-andrew-goldsworthy-2009.html
Created on 16 January 2009
- Research – Dr. Andrew Goldsworthy’s presentation to British Society for Ecological Medicine, Royal College of GPs http://mastsanity.org/health/258-drandrew-goldsworthys-presentation-to-british-society-for-ecological-medicineroyal-college-of-gps.html
Created on 24 November 2008
- Research – Wifi and Electromagnetic fields -Andrew Goldsworthy. http://mastsanity.org/health/256-wifi-and-electromagnetic-fields-by-andrew-goldsworthy-oct-2008.html
Created on 31 October 2008
- Electrosensitivity? What’s that?
http://mastsanity.org/info-guides-/electrosensitivity-guide.html ES-UK has the following trustees (T), scientific (S) and medical (M) advisers:- Michael Bevington (T), Dr Stephen Brooke (M), Sarah Dacre (T), Dr David Dowson, (M)Doctor Andrew Goldsworthy (S). Doctor Magda Havas (S), Professor Denis Henshaw (T), Professor Olle Johansson (S), Jean Philips (T), Doctor Hugo Schooneveld (S), Brian Stein (T), Philip Watts (T) Created on 01 September 2008
- Research – Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFLs) – What you need to know about low energy lighting – Dr. Andrew Goldsworthy –
Created on 16 July 2008
- Press Release – Clusters of Illness, Clusters of Distress – By Products of A Wireless Age and All Predicted
– by Dr. Andrew Goldsworthy http://mastsanity.org/media/229-24608-clusters-of-illness-clusters-of-distress-by-products-of-a-wireless-age-and-all-predicted.html
Created on 24 June 2008
- Research – The Cell Phone and the Cell – the Role of Calcium (Research)
… autism to reducing fertility and promoting cancer. We now have a plausible scientific explanation for the mechanisms involved. – Andrew Goldsworthy http://mastsanity.org/health/213-the-cell-phone-and-the-cell-the-role-of-calcium.html
Created on 26 May 2008
- Press Release – MS Delegation to Deliver the BioInitiative Report to Gordon Brown
(Press Releases) … is not an electric kettle that can only be damaged by overheating.” – Dr. Andrew Goldsworthy – http://mastsanity.org/media/188-press-release-11th-dec-2007-ms-delegation-to-deliver-the-bioinitiative-report-to-gordon-brown.html
Created on 12 December 2007
- Research – The London Resolution (Research) – Dr. Christopher Busby, Subcontractor, Policy Interpretation Network on Children’s Health and Environment (PINCHE), Liverpool/Aberystwyth, UK – Mr. Roger Coghill,MA(Cantab) C Biol Mi BiolMA(Environ Mgt), Coghill Research Laboratories, Pontypool,Wales, UK – Dr. Andrew Goldsworthy, Honorary Lecturer, Imperial College, London, UK – Dr. Lennart Hardell, University Hospital, Orebro University,Orebro, Sweden – Prof. Olle Johansson, Experimental Dermatology Unit, Department of Neuroscience, Karolinska Institute, Sweden, and The Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden – Dr. Gerd Oberfeld, Public Health Department, Salzburg Government, Salzburg, Austria – Mr. Alasdair Philips, B.Sc. (Eng), Director, Powerwatch, Sutton in the Isle, UK – Mr. Graham Philips, MBCS, Technical Manager, Powerwatch, Ely, UK – Ms Cindy Sage, Co-Editor, BioInitiative Report, Santa Barbara CA, USA – Dr. John Walker, Chartered Physicist, Sutton Coldfield, UK – http://mastsanity.org/health/186-the-london-resolution.html
Created on 03 December 2007
- Research – The Dangers of Electromagnetic Smog (Research) – Andrew Goldsworthy – http://mastsanity.org/health/164-the-dangers-of-electromagnetic-smog.html
Created on 26 August 2007
A 2010 report about bee decline.
Dr. Andrew Goldsworthy explains the impact of EMF on cryptochromes, and their properties in the navigation of bees (and birds as well, as studies show)
By: Sasha Herriman, CNN
Guest: Dr. Andrew Goldsworthy
2009: PDF: Author: Dr. Andrew Goldsworthy, BSc, PhD.
The Birds, the Bees and Electromagnetic Pollution
How electromagnetic fields can disrupt both solar and magnetic bee navigation and reduce immunity to disease all in one go
- What are cryptochromes?
- How cryptochrome measures light
- How cryptochrome senses magnetic fields
- Oscillating magnetic fields severely disrupt cryptochrome function
- Mobile telecommunications generate similar fields.
- Their sheer numbers may also be a problem
- Bees may not like the radiation either.
- Cryptochrome and solar navigation
- Circadian rhythms are affected too
- Consequences of losing the circadian rhythm